This kind of Iranian cuisine is favor of tourists who love eggplants and tomatoes.We suggest this Iranian food to our Iran visitors.
Any dish with the combination of┬áeggplants and tomatoes is just divine. If you happen to love eggplants and tomatoes this stew has them both, in addition to meat, split peas and sour grapes (ghooreh), which can be found in most Iranian grocery stores. ┬ákhoresh bademjan is a rich and flavorful┬árecipe and one of the┬áfavorites among many Iranians.
Khoresh Bademjan – Eggplant Stew┬á
1 pound of meat (beef or lamb), washed and cubed
2 large eggplants, peeled, sliced and salted–with 2 tablespoons of salt
2 medium tomatoes, peeled
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 cup yellow split peas, cleaned, washed
3 tablespoons oil for sauteing onion, garlic and meat
1/2 cup of oil for frying eggplants
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
Water, 3-4 cups
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice of 1 lime, or to tasteÔÇöor 2-3 tablespoons sour grapes (ghooreh)
- Place the salted eggplants in a large container filled with water; put a heavy bowl or a heavy lid on top of the eggplants to hold them down for ten minutes, this will get rid of the bitterness. Remove eggplants from container and pat dry completely before frying.
- Fry the eggplants in 1/2 cup of hot oil until brown on both sides. Remove from oil and place on a thick paper towel to take out the excess oil.
- Place tomatoes in a pot of boiling water for five minutes before pulling off the skin, then chop or slice them thinly. Or use a can of crushed tomatoes instead.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat, add chopped onions, saute until translucent then add the garlic, stir well. Put in turmeric, meat, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly. Cook until meat is brown on all sides.
- Add dry split peas, fry for five minutes, this would keep the peas more firm in the khoresh.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce and three cups of water to cover all the ingredients. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and cook for an hour on medium heat.
- Add the fried eggplant to the mixture, adjust the seasoning and add more water if needed.
- Add the lime juice or two tablespoons of sour grapes (ghooreh).
- Cook for another 30 minutes or until meat is tender.